Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

Skip to Main Content
University of Pittsburgh    
2023-2024 Graduate & Professional Studies Catalog 
  Jun 23, 2024
2023-2024 Graduate & Professional Studies Catalog

Chemical Engineering (Research-Oriented Program), MSCHe

Return to Academic Programs Return to: Academic Programs


The candidate for the Master of Science degree must demonstrate proficiency in basic chemical engineering subjects by successfully taking the following required courses:

In addition to these 15 credits, the student must satisfactorily complete the following courses:

  • At least 9 additional credits of graduate-level course work, at least 3 of which must be in chemical engineering. Approved courses, with the permission of the student’s major advisor and/or the ChE Vice Chair for Graduate Education, can be taken outside the department.
  • 6 credits of CHE 2999 - M.S. THESIS  must also be taken.
  • 3 credits of Research Methodology are required (see below).

A full-time student will normally take 24 didactic credits, 6 thesis credits, 3 credits of research methodology, and up to 3 credits of seminar.

Full-time students are required to register each term for Research Methodology, a 1-credit course. In Research Methodology, a letter grade will be given each term based upon the student’s research performance. Full-time students are also required to register for CHE 3001 - GRADUATE SEMINAR  during the fall and spring terms. It should be emphasized that the preceding course requirements are minimum requirements, and additional work may be necessary for an individual student, especially if the student’s undergraduate degree is not in chemical engineering.

A student who does not maintain a B (3.00 GPA) average in all MS-level courses is put on academic probation. The graduate faculty of the Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering will review all cases of probation each term and determine whether the student will be permitted to continue to pursue graduate study. Should a student receive a grade lower than B- in a required MS course, the student will be required to repeat that course and receive a B- grade or better before being permitted to graduate.

A student with full-time status should discuss possible thesis topics with at least three members of the departmental faculty and then submit a written request to the Vice Chair for Graduate Education for assignment of a thesis advisor. After the faculty assigns an advisor, the student can begin the thesis. The MS thesis oral examination is given at the completion of the thesis.


No single course can be used to satisfy both a core requirement and elective requirement.

Students without a BS degree in engineering must take, in addition, either the online “bridging course” offered in Jan (1st class) and May (2nd class) by Michigan State University (see for details about the bridging courses CHE 804 and 805). Neither of these courses can serve as an elective nor core course substitute in the MS required courses. Students who do not have an undergraduate engineering degree are also required to take ChE 0613 (senior-level) “Systems Engineering 2: Process Design” prior to graduating with an MS degree. This requirement is waived for students who complete a PhD in Chemical Engineering.

Return to Academic Programs Return to: Academic Programs

Catalog Navigation