CGS General Education Courses (33 credits)
General Education Requirements (GERs) provide you with an opportunity to discover interests you never knew you had, all while earning credits toward graduation. And, no matter what your future holds, be it a career or grad school, GERs prepare you by emphasizing skills employers want (like critical thinking, problem solving, written and oral communication) and giving you the opportunity to become more aware of our increasingly diverse and interconnected world.
The College of General Studies provides a liberal arts and pre-professional education for undergraduate students that is grounded in scholarly excellence. Pitt offers you the knowledge, understanding, analytical tools, and communication skills you need to become perceptive, reflective, and intellectually self-conscious citizens within a diverse and rapidly changing world. GERs are at the core of our education.
Important Information: Our General Education Requirements changed for students entering as of Fall 2018 (2191) term. For details on the new CGS general education program and a list of approved courses, visit: http://www.cgs.pitt.edu/academics/general-education-requirements.
Listed below are the revised CGS General Education Requirements for dental hygiene students for Fall 2018 and afterward.
Note: 9-15 credits in courses below must be at the 1000-level depending on the student’s area of concentration in the major. One of the courses taken below must also satisfy a ‘Diversity’ General Education requirement.
Writing (6 credits)
Mathematics (3 credits)
Humanities and Arts, Social Sciences, and Natural Sciences (15 credits)
- 6 credits in 2 courses that satisfy 2 of the 3 following general education requirements: The Arts, Creative Work, Philosophical Thinking or Ethics.
- 3 credits in a course that satisfies the Social Science general education requirement.
- 3 credits in a course that satisfies the Literature general education requirement.
- 3 credits in a course that satisfies the Historical Analysis general education requirement.
Global Awareness and Cultural Understanding (9 credits)
- 3 credits in a course that satisfies the Global Issues general education requirement.
- 3 credits in a course that satisfies the Specific Geographic Region general education requirement.
- 3 credits in a course that satisfies the Cross-Cultural Awareness general education requirement.