Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

Skip to Main Content
University of Pittsburgh    
2016-2017 Graduate & Professional Studies Catalog 
  Dec 08, 2023
2016-2017 Graduate & Professional Studies Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Nuclear Engineering - Thesis Option (Research Track), MSNE

Return to Academic Programs Return to: Academic Programs

Master of Science Program

Upon entering, the student plans a program of study with the aid of the faculty advisor. The course requirements can be met by either the

(1) Thesis Option (Research M.S.Track):

30 Credits

Or the

(2) Non-Thesis Option (Professional M.S.Track):

  • 30 course credits.

Thesis Option (Research M.S. Track)

The research M.S. track is primarily for those students who wish to advance the technology. Students in this track will be advised to take those courses best suited for the research degree. Full time graduate students who are supported by department scholarships must choose the research M.S. track. Each candidate must provide a suitable number of copies of the thesis for review and use as designated by the thesis examining committee, consisting of at least three members of the faculty recommended by the major advisor and approved by the department chair. The major advisor must be a Mechanical Engineering or Material Science Faculty member with an appointment in the Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science Department. Nonnative English speakers are encouraged to take ENGR 2050 - TECHNICAL WRITING  (however this course does not count toward graduation). The final oral examination in defense of the master’s thesis is conducted by the thesis committee, and a report of this examination signed by all members of the committee must be filed in the office of the dean. After the examination, the approved ETD must be deposited to the ETD Online System where it will be reviewed by the ETD Student Services Staff in the dean’s office of the student’s school and submitted for microfilming and deposit in the University Library System. A receipt for the ETD processing/microfilming fees and any necessary paperwork must be submitted to the appropriate ETD Staff in the Office of Administration.

Return to Academic Programs Return to: Academic Programs

Catalog Navigation