Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

Skip to Main Content
University of Pittsburgh    
2016-2017 Graduate & Professional Studies Catalog 
  Dec 04, 2023
2016-2017 Graduate & Professional Studies Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Chemical Engineering (Research-Oriented Program), MSCHe

Return to Academic Programs Return to: Academic Programs


The candidate for the Master of Science degree must demonstrate proficiency in basic chemical engineering subjects by successfully taking the following required 3-credit courses:

In addition to these 15 credits, the student must satisfactorily complete the following courses:

  • At least 9 additional credits of graduate-level course work, at least 3 of which must be in chemical engineering. Approved courses can be taken outside the department.
  • Six credits of thesis must also be taken.
  • Three credits for Research Methodology (see below).

A full-time student will normally take 33 credits.

Full-time students are required to register each term for Research Methodology, a 1-credit course. In Research Methodology, a letter grade will be given each term based upon the student’s research performance. Full-time students are also required to attend the graduate seminar during the fall and spring terms. It should be emphasized that the preceding course requirements are minimum requirements, and additional work may be necessary for an individual student, especially if the student’s undergraduate degree is not in chemical engineering.

A student who does not maintain a B (3.00 GPA) average in all MS-level courses or obtain a B or better in the five required courses is put on academic probation. The graduate faculty of the Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering will review all cases of probation each term and determine whether the student will be permitted to continue to pursue graduate study. Should a student receive a B- grade or lower in a required MS course, the student will be required to repeat that course and receive a B grade or better before being permitted to graduate.

A student with full-time status should discuss possible thesis topics with at least three members of the departmental faculty and then submit a written request to the faculty for assignment of a thesis advisor. After the faculty assigns an advisor, the student can begin the thesis. The MS thesis oral examination is given at the completion of the thesis. All full-time master’s students must participate in teaching a course during one term as a master’s student.

Students wishing to continue into the PhD program after the MS degree should take the oral qualifying examination during the summer of their first year. Failure to do so will forfeit one of two opportunities to pass this examination.

Return to Academic Programs Return to: Academic Programs

Catalog Navigation