The German major requires completion of 33 credits (11 courses) distributed as follows. If necessary to fulfill credit requirements, higher-level language courses can be substituted for intermediate-level language courses.
Grade requirements: A 2.00 GPA is required in is required in each course that counts toward the major.
Satisfactory/No Credit option: No course that counts toward the major can be taken on an S/NC basis unless the student receives special permission from the major advisor.
Writing requirement: GER 1001 - GERMAN WRITING and GER 1003 GER 1003 - PROFESSIONAL GERMAN fulfill the requirement for a writing course in the major.
Honors requirements: To earn departmental honors in German, students must demonstrate superior performance in departmental courses by:
- earning an average GPA of at least 3.5 in their major courses;
- demonstrating a high level of proficienty in speaking and writing German; and
- completing a three-credit senior honors project (in addition to the credits required for the major), which has been accepted by the departmental faculty. Senior honrs projects may include:
- a semester-long, independent research project, as an extension of the senior thesis written during the capstone seminar;
- taking an exam on a comprehensive reading list derived by the student in consultation with the faculty; or
- enrolling in a graduate seminar and completing a graduate paper.
Students are encouraged to study and reside in a German-speaking country as a component of the German major. Numerous possibilities exist for such study, and financial aid is often available.