The History major requires completion of 36 credits, 18 of which must be at the 1000-level, distributed as follows.
The following rules and requirements apply for history majors.
- Students must earn at least a 2.00 overall GPA in history courses.
- Majors may take a total of nine credits for the major on an S/NC basis. HIST 1000 - CAPSTONE SEMINAR or HIST 1001 - INTRODUCTORY SEMINAR may not be taken S/NC.
- History majors are strongly encouraged to add an international dimension to their undergraduate education by studying abroad.
- Students interested in graduate study in history should be aware that all graduate departments of history require proficiency in at least one second language and that many require competence in two languages for a PhD.
- The honors program consists of the regular major plus six extra credits. Honors students must take the following courses.
Students may apply for the honors program in thier sophomore year and upon completion of at least 12 credits in history. To apply, students must have a minimum 3.5 GPA in hsitory courses, an overall GPA of at least 3.35, and submit a writing sample for approval by the Undergraduate Committee. The minimum letter grade requirement for honors students is B.
Internships for History Credit
History majors may do an internship for 3 credits (HIST 1900 ) in a local museum in either the fall or spring semesters. Contact the history academic advisor for information.
Each year the department offers a scholarship for study abroad. Applications for the A. J. Schneider Award are due by February each year. Contact the history undergraduate advisor for more information.