Nonprofit agencies of all kinds are being established to fulfill needs in our communities, while existing community benefit organizations are expanding to meet increasing demand for services. This growth means new opportunities in the rewarding nonprofit sector.
The 18-credit nonprofit management certificate is offered by the College of General Studies in partnership with Pitt’s Graduate School of Public and International Affairs. The program provides a solid foundation for those looking to enter the field of public service, to enhance their current roles, or to assume leadership positions. Coursework covers topics including management, fundraising, human resources, and more.
This certificate can be pursued as a standalone program or in conjunction with the completion of another degree at Pitt. The credits you earn while completing this certificate may also be transferred to a bachelor’s degree program at CGS, such as our BA in public service.
Who should enroll:
- Professionals with public relations experience
- Professionals with an interest in fundraising
- Professionals with a background in program development
- Professionals with knowledge of marketing and advertising
- Recent graduates or current students who wish to pursue a career in the nonprofit field
- Undergraduate degree-seeking students who wish to have an intermediate credential
- Technology workers
- Entrepreneurs who wish to start a nonprofit
Upon completion of this certificate, participants will be able to:
- organize, manage, or supervise a nonprofit organization;
- hire and train an efficient staff;
- understand the structural and financial issues unique to nonprofits;
- effectively raise revenue through fundraising; and
- write grant proposals.
This certificate is applicable to positions such as grant writers, fundraisers, development officers, accountants, information technology workers, and office managers.
Students must meet requirements for admission to the College of General Studies. A certificate application form must be completed and submitted online to the College of General Studies.
Obtaining the Certificate
To receive the certificate, you must fill out an application with CGS prior to completing your last term in the program. Check with a CGS academic advisor for the application form and filing deadline and be sure all requirements for the certificate have been met. To avoid a late fee, you should complete this process when registering for the term.