Currently in Pennsylvania, completion of an approved School Nurse PK- 12 Certificate program is required to practice as a school nurse. Pitt Nursing’s School Nurse Certificate Program can prepare you for the toughest job you’ll ever love.
This online School Nurse PK-12 Certificate from the School of Nursing, a 15-credit (three-term) curriculum, fulfills the educational requirements for the state certificate, and is designed for graduates of BSN programs and students and/or graduates of MSN, DNP, or PhD programs. This program will prepare registered nurses to meet the health needs of children of all ages in diverse school settings. The curriculum includes a School Nurse Seminar course that covers the true essentials of school nursing, taught by a certified school nurse. Students will enhance their knowledge of health promotion and disease prevention in culturally diverse populations and their skills in physical assessment and working with psychiatric conditions.
Upon completion of the School Nurse Certificate curriculum, you will be eligible to apply for the School Nurse PK-12 Certificate (Education Specialist 1) issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE). In addition to meeting PDE educational requirements, Pennsylvania requires certified school nurses to have a BSN and a valid RN license. (Visit education.pa.gov or your home state’s Board of Nursing website for state-specific requirements.)
- Graduates of the School Nurse Certificate will be prepared to apply nursing knowledge, skills, and abilities in the care of school age children in diverse elementary and secondary school settings.
- This program will help prepare school nurses who want to take the National Certification Examination for School Nurses (NCSN) which is administered by the National Board for Certification of School Nurses (NBCSN).
- Pre-admission Interview
- Current RN license in U.S. state/territory or location where student will complete clinical requirements
- ≥ 3.0 GPA in BSN or higher nursing degree from an ACEN, ACICS, CCNE, or NLN accredited program
- Current Criminal Record Clearance (ACT 34 and ACT 73)
- Current Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance (ACT 33)
- Current American Heart Association - BLS Healthcare Provider Course Certification
- Online application
- Application Deadlines: August 1 (Fall Term), December 1 (Spring Term)
- Online* (no on-site campus requirements)
- Full-time (3 terms) / Part-time (varies)
- 15 credits (includes 120 practicum hours with a Certified School Nurse)
- Fall and Spring Term admission