A 16 credit minor in computer science is available. The minor is essentially 5 of the 6 courses that are considered the “core” of the CS major. This is a rigorous minor. This minor is not intended for casual students interested in computer literacy.
The requirements for the CS minor are:
- CMPINF 0401 - INTERMEDIATE PROGRAMMING*
- CS 0445 - DATA STRUCTURES
- CS 0447 - COMPUTER ORGANIZATION AND ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE
- CS 1501 - ALGORITHM IMPLEMENTATION
- and one of the two courses: CS 0441 - DISCRETE STRUCTURES FOR CS, CS 0449 - INTRODUCTION TO SYSTEMS SOFTWARE**.
*CMPINF 0401 requires programming experience as a prerequisite. A student without any programming background would be advised to take the 3 credit course CS 0007 as preparation for CMPINF 0401.
**The typical minor consists of CMPINF 0401 , CS 0441 , CS 0445 , CS 0447 and CS 1501 , is a prerequisite for CS 1501 . However, students with very strong math backgrounds (ex: Math majors) may be able to waive the CS 0441 prerequisite for CS 1501 and thus take CS 0449 rather than CS 0441 .