The Certificate in Writing is a 21-credit program designed for those who desire to improve their writing skills. In today’s world, the skillful use of the written word is fundamental. This program consists of academic courses taught by faculty of the Department of English. Participants may choose electives to focus on a particular style of writing or to obtain an overview of several writing styles. The program also oﬀers internships with local media, including newspapers, magazines, and television.
Who should participate:
- Students already enrolled in a degree program in the College of General Studies who wish to concentrate on the development of writing skills
- Those who already have a degree, but who wish to develop their writing skills for personal or professional advancement
- People seeking to embark upon writing as a profession
Upon completion of this certificate, participants will be able to:
- Write clearly and accurately
- Apply writing skills to both fiction and nonfiction works
- Understand different forms and techniques used in various types of writing
This certificate is applicable to fields such as media, industrial organizations, governmental agencies, community groups, service providers, and businesses. Skilled writers may work in any organization or field.
Students must meet requirements for admission to the College of General Studies. A certificate application form must be completed and submitted to the College of General Studies online via https://www.cgs.pitt.edu/admission. To avoid a late fee, you should complete this process when registering for courses. Students must have completed a Seminar in Composition course or its equivalent before registering for any of the following classes.
Obtaining the certiﬁcate
To receive the certificate, you must fill out an application with your academic advisor prior to completing your last term in the program. Check with your advisor for the application filing form and deadlines, and be sure all requirements for the certificate have been met. To avoid a late fee, you should complete this process when registering for the term.