The Graduate Program in Pharmaceutical Sciences is pleased to offer the new Non-Thesis MS degree to qualified students.
Why choose the non-research based thesis?
Students will be able to complete the MS degree in one calendar year. Our MS in Pharmaceutical Sciences attracts students interested in drug discovery, delivery, and metabolism in addition to pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics. Graduating with the MS in Pharmaceutical Sciences will prepare you for employment in pharmaceutical manufacturing plants and labs. Pharmaceutically-trained professionals are involved in biotechnology, research, synthesizing and testing new compounds, in marketing and sales of pharmaceuticals and biomedical devices, and in pharmaceutical benefit management. Some areas where graduates with degrees in Pharmaceutical Sciences are sought after are Cosmetic Science, Industrial Pharmacy, and University-based laboratory areas.
Non-Thesis MS Academic Requirements for Acceptance
- A BS or BA in biochemistry, biology, chemistry, pharmacy, pharmaceutical sciences or a related field is required.
- Applications must be submitted electronically.
- We require three references that MUST be submitted online. Written references are not accepted.
- Successful applicants will be admitted for fall 2012. We do not accept Spring Admissions.
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required and must have been taken within the past three years. Subject specific tests are not required.
- International applicants with English as a second language must complete the TOEFL or IELTS. For TOEFL a minimal score of 80 (Internet-based test), 550 (Paper-based test), or 213 (Computer-based test) is required. For IELTS the minimum acceptable score is 6.5.
- You must submit GRE and TOEFL (or IELTS) scores to the University of Pittsburgh, institution code is 2927. You do not need a department code. TOEFL scores are good for two years; the ETS will not release TOEFL scores after 2 years from the date of the exam.
- If you have graduated from a U.S. institution OR if English is the official language of your country then TOEFL or IELTS scores are not required.
- IMPORTANT: WE DO NOT ACCEPT ANY DOCUMENTS SENT VIA MAIL TO OUR DEPARTMENT. You will be notified if your application is reviewed and you are invited for an interview. At that time you will need to supply an official copy of your transcript.
- Application to our program requires a $50.00 fee which cannot be waived. Credit cards are accepted. To apply, go to: http://www.pharmacy.pitt.edu/programs/grad/ms_nonthesis.php; click Apply On-line!
Program Requirements for Graduation
- 30 credits are required for graduation. A minimum of 10 credits must be taken in any given semester.
- In lieu of an original research study the student would complete a written project consisting of a comprehensive literature review of a topic of current interest in pharmaceutical sciences. The student would defend the project as an oral examination before their MS committee and major advisor.
- The MS committee will consist of the Director of the Graduate Program in Pharmaceutical Sciences, the student’s major advisor and one other member of the faculty chosen by the student and major advisor and approved by the Program Director and Senior Associate Dean.
- Students would be required to attend the training courses offered by the University.
- Small Animal Training
- Bloodborne Pathogens Training
- Chemical Hygiene Plan & Formaldehyde Awareness
- Radiation Safety Course