The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Post-Professional Certificate is designed for graduate prepared Nurse Practitioners (NP) or Clinical Nurse Specialists (CNS) who are seeking to expand their roles via nurse practitioner certification in Psychiatric Mental Health Care.
The curriculum includes foundational and psychiatric care content providing students with the advanced practice skills to effectively manage persons with psychiatric disorders across the lifespan. Emphasis is placed on psychobiologic diagnosis and treatment, including psychotherapies for these individuals and their families to promote mental health and prevent subsequent mental disorders.
Clinical experiences are designed so that students provide comprehensive management to psychiatric clients with mental illness in intensive and varied clinical experiences. Culminating clinical management practice provides students with the opportunity to synthesize and integrate concepts from primary health care with their psychiatric knowledge base.
Graduates are eligible for legal certification and prescriptive authority in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and professional certification offered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
- Full-time or Part-time (length depends on prior academic preparation)
- 640 clinical hours (length depends on prior academic preparation)
Graduates of the PMHNP are prepared to accomplish the following:
- Provide comprehensive care to psychiatric clients
- Conduct psychotherapies for psychiatric clients and their families
- Valid registered nurse license (all students must obtain a Pennsylvania license)
- Previous MS or MSN as a NP or CNS (from accredited program (ACEN, NLN, ACICS, or CCNE)
- GPA ≥ 3.0 in the MS or MSN degree
- Official GRE scores (may be waived if GPA ≥ 3.5)
- Minimum of one year nursing experience recommended
- Prerequisite statistics course
- Pre-admission interview
- Complete online application
- International applicants: see www.nursing.pitt.edu and www.ois.pitt.edu
- Rolling admissions